Monday, October 29, 2012

Chinese Tutor, NO english speaking!

Yesterday I got back from Hong Kong and as usual had a lot to unpack. I brought back more winter clothes and bought a lot of American food while I was there. Mom also gave me a REAL popcorn bowl! Leave it to moms to figure out how to get a large wooden bowl to fit in an already full suitcase.

I guess I can now count on two hands how many times I have flown and my flight has been on time because I was on time yesterday!

Yesterday afternoon Alicia came over and hung out for a bit and then we got dinner. After Henry came over and the three of us booked a few of our hostels for our trip and then we watched Easy A.

This morning I taught my class all about Halloween and then showed them the Modern Family episode of Halloween and gave them candy at the end. Even though they got one fun size piece of American candy they were SO excited... I mean SO excited. I made each of them say trick or treat otherwise they couldn't get a piece of candy. It was really funny. I love teaching my freshmen. They are all so innocent and still excited about being in university.

After class I took Henry shopping for our trip. I say I took him shopping because I did the translating. Shopping isn't easy over here since an XL is equivalent to a US medium... if that. Which reminds me, I went shopping in HK and was told I was a 12. YEAH RIGHT.... Note to self... retail therapy shopping in Asia is a BAD IDEA. I wan't doing retail therapy shopping, but I can only imagine if I had been how much more pissed off I would have been at the lady for telling me I was a size 12.

Anyway... after the shopping adventure, which thankfully was a success since the boy didn't bring the proper clothes to Ma'anshan, I met my Chinese tutor! We met in my boss's office. She speaks NO english. Not even the slightest... I mean she didn't know what morning and afternoon meant. I actually understood everything she said and we had a great conversation. I was finally forced to use my Chinese. It's amazing what I can whip out when I'm forced. I am so excited to start my tutoring hours with her. I meet with her once a week for 2 hours in my apartment. My first session is this Wednesday at 10! Stanley (my boss) said he was going to give me an exam at the end of the year and if I fail I have to stay for a second year and work for free. So I told him if I pass I get to stay for a second year and he will pay me double!

Henry and I got dinner to go from the cafeteria and then watched Armageddon. I can't believe it was the first time I had seen the movie... apparently I've been living under some rock watching really bad movies.




No comments:

Post a Comment