Monday, October 29, 2012

Filling up in HK

Thursday after class I left for Hong Kong for the weekend. As usual my flight was delayed and I got in at 7 instead of 5. I literally am the worst person to fly with because I am ALWAYS delayed. I can probably count on one hand how many times I have flown and been on time.

After going through immigration I applied to be an HK frequent flyer and was approved! It means I get to go in the same lines as the HK residents and e-channel members go through. MEANING.... NO lines for me anymore! Which is fabulous since I hate waiting in lines.

I met mom at the Elements and we got mexican food at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. Some people would have said no to the option of mexican food after just having fajitas but I jumped at the opportunity. I mean... it's not like I had chips and guacamole or a margarita the night before... and plus, I love mexican food.
Dad couldn't meet us for dinner because he had his last dinner with his MIT group and became an official MIT grad from the Fung Group Leadership Program. I am so impressed with him. Not only did he have class for MIT (did you read that.. MIT), he also had a ton of work work and kicked some ass. Way to go Dad! I hope I have inherited his work ethic.

Friday morning I got to sleep in and then mom and I went to get our nails done and got me an HK sim card! For lunch we went to BLT Burger which was delicious, of course. Then we went shopping, headed home, I napped and then we went to Il Maestro for dinner when dad got home.


Mom and me at Sticky Fingers
I love going to Il Maestro. When we walked in the hostess and a few of the waiters came up to me and said.. "You're back, you're back! We've missed you!" Mom, dad and I may not have any other family over here but we have certainly done a good job creating one. My Poppop taught my dad to always make people remember you (I think I've butchered that a bit), but now I understand why. Or at least I have my own version of understanding... you make people remember you at a restaurant, you go back a ton, you get taken care of and they make you feel like family. Gosh I feel so Italian right now.

ANYWAY.... after dinner we went to Sticky Fingers with Vance and that is when the MIT graduation party truly began. A lot of people may think you age as you get older and you don't become as fun. Well, not my parents. They were dancing with all the people my age, jumping up and down and having a great time. I was dying laughing. And of course I was the 22 year old sitting in the chair taking videos of them... one day they will be sitting at Sticky Fingers watching ME dance and taking funny videos of ME.

Saturday I really slept in and we had a late breakfast. We all miss going to BCHAT on a Saturday but eating eggs and bacon while looking out at the harbour is definitely not a bad runner up.

My lamb at Va Bene
Saturday afternoon my dad and I went to Mong Kok to a hiking store so I could buy a backpack. It really was the three of us at first until I mentioned to my mom that I thought I may have left the straightener on so as a mom, she turned around because she was worried the apartment would burn down... the straightener was off. It was a success and now I have a 40 liter backpack (not really sure if that's what is called) for my trip this Thursday-Monday to ZhangJiaJie!

Saturday night we went to Va Bene and I ate enough that night to keep me full until I return for Thanksgiving. Dad and I each got our own bowl of clams for an appetizer and I finished my bowl 5 minutes before him.... then finished all my lamb and mashed potatoes. I'm serious when I say it is necessary that I fill up while I am in HK. The food in Ma'anshan is not filling in the slightest. Love dumplings but.... I need some real meat and I don't mean CHICKEN FEET.
Halloween in Lan Kwai Fong

Well.... long blog shortened: I had an awesome weekend in HK. Going to Hong Kong is like refueling, so it's only necessary I return once a month. Which is why I will be back in  3 weeks for Thanksgiving and I will get to see Steph and Derek! 

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, you are a tribute to your parents! They must be so proud. You have incorporated thoughtful words of generational wisdom and followed through with good intention and actions!

    ReplyDelete