Monday, October 29, 2012

Fajita Night!

Wednesday night I had a fajita night in my apartment. The whole foreign gang came: Henry, Alicia, Renata, Nat, Ian and his wife Sunny, Fran, Geraldina (Geri, Italian) and Katherine (Chinese teacher from this university who is around 30). It was quite the crowd. I was nervous that I didn't make enough food but it ended up being a huge success! It was the first time Renata, Sunny and Geri had ever had a fajita, so thats fun!

Having everyone over to my apartment for a fun night really made me feel like I am making this place my home. Of course Hong Kong is still truly home to me, but Ma'anshan is finally feeling like a place where I belong. I went on a walk Wednesday morning after my 8am American Culture class and I found myself leaving campus with a huge smile on my face (the smile wasn't because I was leaving campus). It was a gorgeous fall day, I had just had a great class (I showed Modern Family and the students LOVED it), I was going for my walk and then I had one more class and then fajita night! I'm sure a bit of the smile had to do with the fact that I was leaving for Hong Kong on Thursday but I'd like to think that I am actually settled in here and happy! It really is a great feeling.

The last person to leave my apartment was around 12:30 and I had class at 8am. Well... let me tell you. Going to class as a college student after staying up late is one thing. Teaching a class at 8am after staying up late is another thing... never again. I guess I have to accept that I'm in the real world now and I need my rest! Although, I wouldn't have changed a thing about fajita night!

Wednesday night I also decided that I am going to stay here for my two month break. Originally I was going to go back to the states for some job fairs and visit family and friends. And although I miss you more than anything (even more than bacon egg and cheese on an everything bagel from BCHAT... and THAT is saying something!) I just think I would regret looking back on my time here and not having traveled during the break. I am already over here and there is so much of Asia that I have not seen. As I have said before, traveling is the greatest gift you can give yourself and this is a gift I plan on giving myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment