Thursday, October 11, 2012

Please no more staring!

Today was by far the most interesting day I have had in Ma'anshan. I had two classes this morning, Speaking for my freshmen and Business English for my juniors. Both classes went well and all the students were extremely active and using English, it made me so happy! Usually I have to walk around the class repeating, "Use English, Use English, Use English". Gets pretty old.

After class my plan was to go straight to the grocery store but for some reason I was in a mood where I didn't want to deal with all the staring and "lao wai lao wai" or "wai guo ren". "lao wai" means "outsider" and "wai guo ren" means foreigner.

Eventually I decided I had to get over it and go. I mean it's not like I can spend the next year in my apartment to avoid everyone staring at me. The Chinese have siesta from 11:30-2, so I went at 12:30 thinking it would be a less busy time on the bus and in the grocery store. Well... I WAS RIGHT. Thank goodness. I actually ended up being the only person on the number 6 bus. The driver asked me where I was going and took me straight there.. no stops. We also had a nice 10 minute conversation in Chinese. So now I know when to go to the grocery store! The fact that I was the only person on the bus is crazy... that is extremely rare.

After grocery shopping (I treated my self to buying two bottles of good white wine :) ), I went to my boss's office to discuss getting a Chinese tutor. My Chinese tutor will be a professor at the school and we will meet two times a week. Hopefully it goes well!

My flowers : )
This afternoon I went to the lake for my daily walk. Since I was in this "I don't want anyone to stare at me and say 'lao wai' or 'wai guo ren' mood I decided to put on my brightest pink shirt. I figured I could just pretend they were staring at my bright shirt instead of me... WORST IDEA. I got more stares than I have ever gotten. I even got a "wow" from one guy. Maybe he was just taken back by my gorgeous face? ha ha. The older Chinese in the park would stare at me and then I would pass them and then they would turn and continue staring at me. Who knows how long they stared at me after I passed them. I even got some open mouths.

Despite all the staring, I managed to have a great walk. I now walk around the entire lake which is 6.5 miles (at least the way I go is). It was the most gorgeous day today. I went to the lake around 3, which isn't when I normally go. There were a ton of high school/college students rowing... wish I could have joined them. I was so tempted to jump in the water.

On my way back to campus I decided to visit my flower girl and buy some lilies and roses. So on the way back to campus, not only was I a foreigner, I was a foreigner with a bright pink shirt on and a big bouquet of flowers. Lets just say I could not WAIT to get back to my apartment.

One day I'll look back and laugh at all this, but until then y'all can do the laughing for me!

Henry and I got dinner to go from the cafeteria and then he showed me how to download music, movies, programs, etc. for freeeee. I am so excited.

I learned tonight that Colorado is big into country music? Who knew... not me. Whoops.

Tomorrow night a few of the foreign teachers are going to go get BBQ (Chinese BBQ) at the night market.

OH and I downloaded QQ (Chinese version of AIM) because all my students asked me so they could practice their English with me. After class I had like 50 new friend requests. Some of the girls chatted me and said, "You are so beautiful Ms. I". Such a confidence booster... I'll miss all these compliments when I get back to the states!

No comments:

Post a Comment