Saturday, October 20, 2012

IHC Day

So my trainer from Beijing told us that we will all have an IHC day "I hate China day". Saturday was mine. I woke up at 8:20 to be at the speech contest practice at 8:30. Naturally Renata woke up late too and we decided to take our time and show up at 8:40. During our break a teacher who I have never met before came up to me and asked me to do an extra class on Monday. I simply told him that I couldn't because I already teach in the morning and then I am doing English Corner Monday afternoon. He told me to stop being a "cry baby" and went on and on. Well, for starters, I wasn't being a cry baby. They just don't accept the word NO here. It drives me crazy. Anyway, the cultural block that creates a million different miscommunications had really gotten to me at that point.

After the practice was over I came back to my apartment, made a grilled cheese and started watching my favorite new TV show, 'Suits'. Then I met with one of my students to help her with the BEC exam. That was a pretty big fail because her English isn't great and she can only write about the topics... she can't actually speak about the topics. In her test she has to actually SPEAK about the topics with another Chinese student. After guiding her some and giving her some tips I sent her back to her dorm to work on speaking about the topics.

After meeting with her I watched some more 'Suits' and then went down to Alicia's apartment to eat Chili and Cornbread. It was just what I needed... comfort food and some girl time.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I am going to the Yangtze River with my co-teacher (she is really just an assistant, she doesn't sit in any of my classes) and then going to Fran's for an Italian dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment