Monday, October 1, 2012

A long adventure to HK!

Friday morning I left Ma'anshan at 9am on a shuttle to the Nanjing airport. My flight wasn't until 12:50 but there wasn't a 10am shuttle, so I really had no choice but to arrive super early.

The Nanjing airport is SO boring. I ended up starting a book and getting to 70% by the time it was ready to board.

Got on the plane and what do you know... we are delayed an hour. So they served us food while we were still on the ground. I usually never eat airplane food, but I devoured this. It was sticky rice and chicken. I guess my standard of food has gone down after a month of being in China.

Eventually I landed in Shenzhen at 4 and somehow got on the 4:20 bus to Hong Kong. Well, I thought it was straight into Hong Kong and figured I'd clear customs then. NOPE. We arrived at this huge bus terminal. I had to clear customs in China and then walk through this tunnel to get the HK side and then do the whole arrival thing there. Then I got on a bus that FINALLY took my to the Elements. From the Elements I took a taxi and arrived home... 10 hours later!!

I think it's safe to say I will never do that again. The ticket into Shenzhen was $200 so that was worth it, but usually its only $50-$100 cheaper which isn't worth the 10 hours when it could only be a 4 hour day of traveling!

I guess I should probably explain why I am even home in Hong Kong. In China, October 1st is National Day. So everyone gets 8 days off. They make up having Monday off on Saturday. But they still have the rest of the week off and don't make up those days? I seriously don't understand but I don't really understand anything that goes on in China.

Lucky me I get 10 days off because I don't have classes on Friday and the school decided to have Friday classes made up on Saturday.

So now I am finally back home in Hong Kong! I only got to see my parents for 2 hours the night I got home. They went to Phuket for vacation until Wednesday. I'm counting down the hours until they return!!

Saturday I went to bliss spa at the elements and treated myself and then came back and went to the pool for a bit. All the chairs in the sun were taken so I was stuck in the shade.

Saturday night I decided to dine out alone at Il Maestro, a restaurant my parents and I always go to in HK. It's nice showing up to a place where the people recognize you.

When I was done eating a brit came over to me and asked me if I wanted to join her and her boyfriend to drink and listen to music so I did. Turns out they are both English teachers in HK! They are 36 and 44, but were so funny! The guy had friends from South Carolina and went to visit awhile back and asked me if I had ever been to Greenville. WHAT A SMALL WORLD! He told me Greenville has churches like Ireland (I think he said Ireland) has pubs. I thought it was a really funny comparison.

I ended up singing Sweet Home Alabama on stage, which was funny. I even got some claps.... That will probably be the last time I sing on stage. ha ha

Going out to dinner by myself and meeting people from the UK was a great experience for me. It amazes me how you can go out on your own, meet people and find that you have so many things in common. I've realized the world is so big and I should really take advantage of exploring it while I am over here. Meeting people from different paths of life is so interesting and Saturday night is definitely a night I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment