Tuesday, October 23, 2012

You are so beautiful.

Monday I had my freshmen Speaking class in the morning and then English corner in the afternoon.

I did ZERO lesson planning over the weekend so I had nothing planned for my Monday class. I woke up at 8:30 for my 9:55 class and whipped up a quick lesson. It actually went great! I do have to give some credit to Fran though because she gave me the idea to have my students make a list of words that included the word "up". I figured the lesson could go either way but they actually had a ton of fun with it.

For the first part of class I put my students in groups and gave them an envelope full of questions to ask one another and answer in COMPLETE SENTENCES. They hate using complete sentences. No matter how many times I remind them. I walked around to every group and talked with them for 5-10 minutes. I asked them questions and they asked me questions. It was a great opportunity to let them practice their English with me. It's always difficult to come up with activities that allow teacher to student conversation while keeping the rest of the class busy and engaged in practicing English speaking.

After class Alicia and I went to Auchan, the best grocery store in Ma'anshan. As Marie knows, I am super spacey in grocery stores and usually have a hard time figuring out where things are... at least the first few times I go. With that said, it was great having Alicia come along to show me where all the prime food is. Totally successful.

At 4 I had to go to the lake on campus (small lake) for English Corner. English Corner is a club put on by students. One of my students in my American Culture class asked me if I could join them at least once a month.

When I arrived at the lake there was a HUGE group of students standing there, when they saw me they all starting applauding and cheering. It was so funny.

For the first half a bunch of students introduced themselves and asked me what they should do to learn English better. I should be taking my own advice on learning Chinese...

At the end of English Corner every student asked to take a picture with me. Eventually I had to say last picture and everyone came running in. It's like I'm a celebrity. Both girls and guys told me how beautiful I was and how I have the most gorgeous eyes. It is so flattering and SO awkward.

For dinner I made steak, broccoli, asparagus and sticky rice. I love being able to cook American food at home.

After dinner Henry and Alicia came over to talk about traveling. Next week we have Thursday and Friday off for the university sports meeting (sports competition). Unfortunately we don't get to participate...

INSTEAD we are going to ZhangJiaJie for 5 days and we leave next Thursday. I am so excited. I am also extremely privileged (well, I think so...) because I am going to Hong Kong this Thursday to Sunday and then ZhangJiaJie next Thursday to Monday. I love traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Such an interesting and vivid account of a very full day in your life! I loved reading about you! I forwarded the link to Granny - she called me yesterday and said how much she enjoyed hearing all about your experience! Thanks for sharing, love you.

    ReplyDelete