Tuesday, October 23, 2012

OH Katrina!

At the steel industry part of the Yangtze River
I need to start making a list of the funny things Katrina says and does. She asked Henry and I awhile ago if we wanted to go to the Yangtze river but we couldn't go because we were both busy. Henry went during our break and told me it was great and that I should definitely have Katrina take me. So Sunday Katrina and I made our journey to the Yangtze river. I call it a journey because of her driving... she drives like my Poppop used to drive. If not WORSE. She actually told me she was terrified to drive in China and asked if I wanted to drive.... I literally wanted to get out of the car and run away. 

45 minutes later we arrived at the "Yangtze river". Yes we were at the Yangtze river, except we most definitely were not at the part Henry told me about. We were at the industrial/steel industry part. I asked Katrina if this is how we were supposed to get to CaiShiJi (I think that is what it's called....) and she responded with a firm no. It would take us another 45 minutes to drive there. So I thought she was planning on taking me to the nice part of the Yangtze river and she was planning on just showing me the river. I don't know if this is a "you had to be there moment" but I was dying laughing. Classic Chinese/American miscommunication... I don't even know if that's what you would call it. We just had two different ideas of "going to the Yangtze river". I think she must have taken it literally...

CaiShiJi... so much pollution you can't even see. 
Eventually we arrived at CaiShiJi. It wasn't a very nice day but it was HOT. I dressed for cold weather since the weather had been cold the past week. But of course... I should have known. I am in CHINA, the weather can be summer, fall, winter in one week. I guess that's sort of like the south too, but whatever.

We had to "hike" (climb up) a bunch of stairs to get to the top to see the river. Henry kept telling me how romantic it was and how beautiful the square was at the top and how you can eat lunch up there so of course I am thinking of Italy... nope. Totally wrong. Why I would think something would seem like Italy in China... beyond me. Guess I was trying to be optimistic!

Only half of the food we got.
Anyway... we finally get to the top and climb to the top of the pagoda. The view was great, but it would have been better with NO pollution. When I was about to walk down the stairs Katrina says, "Oh lets sit for a moment, I'm going to call my friend." She calls her friend and talks on the phone for 30 minutes... while I am just sitting there and a million people are taking pictures of me. WHAT?!?! I found it totally strange that she felt the need to just sit down and have a 30 minute conversation with her friend. This literally is Katrina. I always laugh about hanging out with her AFTER.

After our Yangtze river/CaishiJi journey, Katrina took me to a restaurant for lunch. The restaurant was having a big discount because it was there 10 year anniversary. So, Katrina ordered as much food as I think we would have on our tables at Thanksgiving. At least that's how I felt after because I took a nice 2 hour nap after lunch. TONS of food but it was DELICIOUS.

I'm sure it comes off that I don't like Katrina and/or don't enjoy my time with her but that isn't the case. She is very nice and very helpful and I actually enjoyed my morning and lunch with her. She makes me laugh with pretty much everything she does and says... so that's nice. Better laughing than being frustrated with all the cultural differences. I also
Sunday Italian dinner at Fran's!

Sunday night Alicia and I went to Fran's for our Sunday Italian dinner with Geraldina. Geraldina is the 17 year old from Italian who is doing an exchange program here. I thought I was brave...

Dinner was great. I loved meeting Geraldina and we plan to hang out more. Who knew I would come to China and become great friends with foreigners from ages 17 to 60. It truly is a wonderful experience and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment