Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursday, November 1st: FOGGG


Today I woke up at 4am to leave for ZhangJiaJie. Our taxi picked Henry, Alicia and I up at 5am. It was the scariest drive/ride of my life. The taxi driver was great but there was so much fog we could not see a single thing. The roads were pitch black too. At one point we were sandwiched between two trucks. Then she pulled over when it got unbearable and I kept thinking a truck was going to run straight into us but we made it to the airport! 

Our flight was on time. We actually left a little early so I'm in good graces with Henry and Alicia as far as traveling goes! 

The flight was only an hour and I slept the entire time. Henry had to wake me up before we landed to put my seat up. 

From the Changsha airport we took a bus to some hotel. We were under the impression the bus was going to be 4 hours and would take us straight to ZhangJiaJie city. Nope. Right when I got so comfortable we had to get off and switch busses. The second bus was terrible. Trash everywhere and the most uncomfortable seats. Alicia was stuck with a Chinese man and Henry and I sat together. There wasn't enough room under the bus for our backpacks so we were crammed in our seats. For  little over 4 hours. The bus kept stopping on the highway and picking up random people. It was pretty funny. The bus was full but they brought their own stools to sit in the aisle. Only in China. 

The ride was absolutely beautiful. We got dropped off on the side of the rode in ZhangJiaJie city and then went took a taxi to the Youth Hostel where we are staying at for just tonight. 

We got a room for 4 people and are sharing it with some random Chinese man. He was asleep when we walked in at 4. Not very happy to see us. 

We roamed around the streets for a bit and got fried dumplings and some other random snack. 

The kids in ZhangJiaJie are so cute. I've never seen cuter kids in my life. A group of elementary school boys walked by and asked "do you understand" in Chinese and I responded "yes" in Chinese and they died laughing and kept chatting with me. 


We hung out at the hostel for a bit before we got dinner. They reccomened some hot pot place. I wasn't a huge fan because it was superrrrr spicy and numbed my mouth. Literally. Sichuan peppers have numbing stuff in them. It was crazy. 

Now we are back at the hostel and its time for bed. Off to Tianmen Shan tomorrow! I am super excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment