Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 12-15: Katrina Katrina Katrina!

I really wish I had started a "Things Katrina Says" list a long time ago. Literally every time I am with her she says something so funny. I don't know if you have to know Katrina to think what she says is funny but if you do just trust me... she's great.

This week I taught my students about college life in America. I've decided that I really enjoy putting my students into groups and giving them an envelope full of questions on the topic for the day. This "activity" gives me the opportunity to walk around and talk to each group. Then we have a big class discussion. Between my family life in China vs. America lesson last week and then this past week college life in China vs. America I have learned A LOT about China.


List of things I learned form my students about family life in China:
  • They don't say I love you to anyone in their family
  • Their parents "beat" them when they were little? 
  • If they did bad on a test in school they wouldn't get dinner... (Julie noted how I would have starved to death in high school. I think thats a bit of an exaggeration...)
  • Communication between parents and children is only about school, grades and their future
  • Parents pay for their children until they die (pretty much).
  • Meaning.. parents pay for their son's house and engagement ring... which leads me to my next piece of exciting information...

List of things I learned from my students about college life in China:

  • Every dorm room has 6 students. They live in the SAME dorm and room all 4 years.... I don't know 6 people I could live with for 4 years every single day in the same room... no offense, but really could anyone? Hats of to them... 
  • They sleep on the weekends... like all weekend
  • If they aren't sleeping they are shoPping (emphasis on the first p)
  • If they aren't shoPping they are playing video games
  • They don't get to choose their classes
  • Freshmen can't have scholarships, they have to earn them
  • They are friends with their teachers (good good)
  • They think their classes are all boring, except mine of course. I actually did ask them and they said they loved coming to my class :)
KATRINA (my assistant/helper) is getting ENGAGED! Thursday she took me to the post office and we got to talking about relationships and she nonchalantly mentioned that she was getting engaged. She's only been dating this guy for 2 months. His mom is coming this weekend to give him money to buy the ring... My first response to her after she told me the news was, "That's so exciting! Are you in love??" Her response.. "No, not really. Maybe one day." I told her in America we fall in love first then get married. She told me that was an interesting way to do it... anyway, I came back to my apartment and was laughing so hard. I am very happy for her. She's 30 and in China if you are 30 and single you are considered a "left over". So so so so mean!! 

Oh yeah... She invited me to go dress shopping with her. I can't wait! 

Other than the Katrina news the only other exciting thing that happened this week was painting with Zhou Laoshi. He literally makes painting look SO easy. He taught us how to paint different flowers for the orchid. After each flower he would put his arms up and smile as if to say, "See, so easy! Now your turn"




No comments:

Post a Comment