Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend of November 9-11: Highlight= Calligraphy show with Zhou Laoshi


They set some sort of fireworks off at the calligraphy show

Friday afternoon I hung out with Sunny (Ian’s wife from Suzhou) in her apartment. She talked in Chinese for an hour and I just sat there and listened. I was shocked I actually understood most of it.

Geri (Geraldina, Italian girl who is studying at HS here) came over around 3:30 and we just hung out and painted our nails haha. It’s nice to finally have a good girlfriend to hang out with, even if she is only 17.

Sunny bought ingredients to make dumplings so we had a dumpling party in my apartment Friday night. It was me, Geri, Henry, Sunny, Ian, Alicia and Renata. And Renata brought her cute little dog.

The dumplings were great and we also had prawns! Sunny is an awesome cook. I am trying to learn from her but I don’t think I will ever be as good as she is.

I watched Paranormal Activity Friday night after dinner… I can honestly say I don’t think I have ever been so scared before.

Saturday I woke up late and Henry and I went to Auchan with Sunny. It was the longest funniest trip to the grocery store ever. Sunny has turned into our Chinese mother. I love her, she’s great.

Amazing
We were going to make spring rolls but couldn’t find all the ingredients we needed. So instead of making spring rolls when we got back I read on my couch for hours. Then I somehow got talked into watching Paranormal Activity 2. Thank goodness I was babysitting Renata’s dog so he made me feel safer.

Sunday morning I had to wake up early to go to a Calligraphy show. Our painting teacher, Zhou Laoshi was being honored. There were a certain number of painters invited to this show and he invited us, which was a huge honor. We met his wife, daughter, daughters husband and their child. They kept trying to make the poor girl speak English. I felt so bad for her. I know exactly how it feels….

After the show Zhou laoshi helped me buy brushes. He got an awesome discount for me. It was supposed to be over 400 RMB and it ended up only being 200 RMB!

Lunch after the calligraphy show
Zhou laoshi was supposed to have lunch with all the other painters being honored and the governor of Ma’anshan but he got out of it so he could take us to lunch with his family. I couldn’t believe it. Lunch was amazing…. My mouth is watering just thinking about it again. I won’t even try to explain the dishes we had. If you want to find out you can come visit me! Lunch will be on me J.

I learned that you end the meal with a noodle dish to say, “let’s keep in touch and stay connected.” Pretty cool.

After lunch Geri came over to help me make meatballs. Sunday night I went to Alicia’s for dinner with Henry and two Chinese students. The meatballs tasted… well… very Chinese.

 I love my new friends, Fran (from Tennessee) and Geri (from Italy)
For dessert we made sweet potato pie… oh my gosh. It tasted almost identical to pumpkin pie. I was in heaven.

We played banana grams. I’ve never played before but I loved it. It is sort of like scrabble, but you make your own individual scrabble board. I think I am going to play the game with my classes. It’s a good way for them to practice their English and their spelling. I could also use some help with my spelling… ha ha

The weekends always go by so quickly but I can definitely say I appreciate my weekends more now than I ever have. Work is so tiring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment