Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Thanksgiving!!! FOOD FOOD FOOD.

The week of November 19-22 went by SOOOO slowly. I was leaving Thursday for Hong Kong for Thanksgiving and I was getting to see Steph and Derek so I could not wait to go home!

During the week I taught my students about Thanksgiving. I taught them aboutThanksgiving and then showed them pictures of the food we eat, taught them about the Macy's Day Parade, and then we played Thanksgiving BINGO.


For those of you that do not know, I was "privileged" enough to be a doctor clown in the Macy's Day Parade with my Poppop, dad and brother. This was when I was in 7th grade. My dad sent me the pictures from us being clowns so I decided to show them to my classes.... they could not stop laughing when I told them which person I was... it was great. Apparently the students give foreign teachers good reviews based on how much we make them laugh... I think I'm doing well so far.

I also showed them a clip from the Macy's Day Parade last year and it wasn't until I showed my Thursday morning class that I almost started crying. I don't think I've ever appreciated Thanksgiving until moving to China. Anyway... I won't get all sappy now. But I do have to say that I am very thankful for this opportunity to be teaching in China and even more thankful for the friends I have made here. I could not have asked for a better group of friends or students for that matter. And of course I am thankful for my family and friends back home :).

SO FINALLY Thursday... I arrived in HK at 5:30. I am now an HK frequent flyer so I just go to this little kiosk, scan my passport, give my thumb print and zoom on through. It is AWESOME. I was through customs in 30 seconds... no joke.

I love going home to Hong Kong. Especially when I get to see one of my siblings! I came home to a coffee table FULL of snacks. It was like waking into heaven. And then our turkey dinner... oh boyyy. My dad ordered two turkeys (we only ate one), my mom and Steph made stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes (or drunken sweet potatoes... she added a bit too much alcohol) and some other things. We also had a pumpkin pie and a cherry pie. I devoured the food.

After dinner we watched the Macy's Day Parade. We may have done Thanksgiving backwards this year (eating and then watching the parade) but it was wonderful. My family values "keeping the tradition alive" for holidays and I would say we did a pretty good job keeping our thanksgiving traditions alive in HK.




No comments:

Post a Comment