Saturday, September 1, 2012

Old Stomping Grounds

To me there are four different "homes": the place where you grew up, (Westfield), the place where your parents live (Hong Kong), the place where you are currently living (Ma'anshan), and then there are always the familiar places that give you a sense of feeling "at home".

Last night our TEFL training group went out to WuDaoKou. Once we got off the subway I got a sense of feeling "at home". While I studied abroad two years ago we frequented the Wudaokou area. Whether it was was the bars or brunch at the Bridge, I found myself in Wudaokou a lot! It was a pretty cool feeling being in Beijing and feeling "at home".

Last night was a lot of fun. I convinced everyone that we had to go to a place called Pyro Pizza. Nobody understood why until they ate the pizza. Another sense of feeling "at home"... PIZZA.

In the past week I've gotten to know a lot of different people and have made some good friends and connections in China. Unfortunately, I have to leave on Monday for Ma'anshan, but I am certain that I will keep in touch with at least of few of them!

Side note: Two days ago I learned how to speak some Scottish. "Shoogle" means to shake. My new favorite word!

It's an interesting feeling having moved into Wofford every labor day weekend for the past 4 years and now I am about to move to Ma'anshan. Wish me luck in the next few days as I make my way to my home for the next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment