Thursday, September 13, 2012

69 students, more than half of them are my age... HELP

So, I haven't posted in a few days. But I changed the date on my blog to make it seem like I posted this Thursday night... hehehe

I'm amazed at how exhausted I am after lesson planning and teaching a class. Pretty sure my body was running on pure anxiety this past week just from the first day of class jitters!

Public Speaking on Wednesday was a bit more intimidating than my Public Speaking Tuesday class. The students in my Wednesday class seemed SO much older. They also asked me if I was still college... I then found out that they are all 22! Yay, love teaching students my own age. I let them each ask me two questions like I did for my Tuesday class. The questions on Wednesday were a lot more serious though.... I got over 5 questions asking me if I liked Japan or China better and who I thought the islands should go to... I clearly didn't answer those questions.

I played the game "Two truths and a lie" again in class. One girls lie was that she has a twin sister she has never met because her parents had to put one of them up for adoption and she thinks her twin is in America. That was probably the most creative lie I heard from the two classes... Another guys "lie" was that he has a good body. Everyone in the class laughed, which made me feel uncomfortable, but they laugh when they feel uncomfortable.

After class I was absolutely exhausted. But I had to get some energy to make an entire new "introduction lesson" because my two public speaking classes were combined into my business english class with the addition of 18 new students. So that makes a total of 69 students for my business english class... not intimidating at all considering i've never even had a class more than 30 students in my life. Also intimidating is that the students range from 20-22. Majority of them being 22. Thank the lord my students are Chinese and I'm in China teaching because if I were in America we all know I would get ZERO respect.

So for my business english class I created information cards. I had them write their basic information down, then two things they want to learn in the class this year, what they want to work on, one thing they are really good at and whether or not they are taking the BEC exam.

I don't know if you know what the BEC exam is, but I had no idea what it was until two weeks ago... And of course more than half of my students are taking it at the end of this semester/year and they are putting all their faith in ME to get them ready for it. AWESOME. I swear the only reason I was chosen to teach business english is because I have a business minor. Im up for the challenge though... maybe it'll make me want to become a business woman? Dads dreams would come true!

Anyway, this morning I was so incredibly nervous for my class. Yes, I had met all my students already, but 69 students in one class? I really had no idea if I could pull it off... BUT I DID! It was such a success. They all love me, or at least seem to... One boy told me he loved the structure of my class. Hopefully teaching only goes up from here. I am a little nervous about coming up with lessons that are 90 minutes long.

Oh and the same boy from the day before who said that his lie was that he had a good body, wrote in the "What else should I know about you" section that he wants me to help him with his body... poor kid.

I went to lunch with Katrina and then took a nice long nap. Love that I have Friday-Monday off this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment