Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Arrived in Ma'anshan!

Monday night around 10 PM I arrived in Nanjing. The University car was there to pick Henry and I up. Small car and we had 4 huge suitcases and two carry ons, but we made it work!

I always hate arriving at night. ESPECIALLY to a new place and an a new apartment all alone! I ended up sleeping extremely well.

Henry and I had to meet Lucy at 9:30 on Tuesday morning. She took us to the police station to register us. The police at the station were all so nice. They were so interested in us and they spoke Chinese with me! After the police station we went to the bank and opened accounts.. I have a total of 50 RMB in there... payday is on the 10th or 15th of September!

After we were done with Lucy we went to Carrefour. I loaded up on cleaning supplies (the apartment is SOOO dirty) and things to make it homey. After two full days of cleaning and unpacking this place is starting to feel homey. I can't wait for my mom to get here to help me really make it feel like home! The 20th can't come soon enough!

I met with my co-teacher in the afternoon. Her name is Katrina and she's 29. I really like her! We speak a lot of Chinese, which is great! She gave me my schedule and showed me around the building I will be teaching in and showed me my office! I can't believe I have an office... and my office is with the Dean of the English department. Not scary at all?

Anyway... another kick... I am teaching English majors speaking and business english... So I have Juniors and Seniors. Should be interesting! I am also teaching Public Speaking which is a mixed group.
If you have any ideas on how to teach business english, let me know!

I am done teaching on Thursdays at 11:30 and have Fridays off!!! I really lucked out. Which means I can go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So mom and dad, you can expect me home A LOT!!

Dinner at my co-teacher's home!
After running a bunch of errands, Katrina invited me to her house to have dinner with her parents. In China you live with your parents until you get married.

Dinner was great. We spoke only Chinese! Her parents were so nice and hospitable. I definitely got homesick during dinner. They kept asking me if I missed my parents and I would say yes and then we would all cheers and then drink wine. They invited me back whenever I want and they are going to teach me how to make jiaozi (dumplings)!



No comments:

Post a Comment