Wednesday, September 5, 2012

When in China, carry cash!

Today I didn't wake up until 10 and stayed in bed until 11. It was great. I haven't been able to do that in over a week.

Once I finally got out of bed, Henry Alicia and I went to a nearby jiaozi (dumpling) joint. We got the jiaozi to go and ate in Alicia's apartment. She has been SO helpful these past two days. I am pretty positive Henry and I would be lost without her information!

This afternoon I met with Katrina (my co-teacher) to get a sim card for my phone. No luck, the place was closed. So, hopefully tomorrow I can get one! Not that I really have anyone to text or call, but it would still be nice to have a working phone.

Katrina then drove me to the RT Supermarket to get a water cooler, microwave and some food. I now have POPCORN (Chinese brand... so that should be interesting), sticky rice, dumplings and pasta... the essentials. Oh and chips ahoy cookies! Buying anything in China is such a process... The story didn't accept MasterCard or American Express. Only some random Chinese card. So everyone behind me in line is yelling at me about what to do and it was a total disaster. Finally I found Katrina and she spotted me the extra cash I needed to pay for my stuff. Lesson learned... ALWAYS HAVE CASH!

I got home around 7 and went across the street to the school cafeteria and got baozi (steamed bun with meat inside).

I finally finished unpacking and put pictures up in my room. Tomorrow I have a physical at 8am. Of course the physical I got in the States isn't up to their standards. I am terrified of having them draw blood... Hopefully I survive!

Here are some pictures of my apartment... 

My bed... mom is bringing me a new duvet cover. THANK GOODNESS!

My toilet is to the right, then my shower, sink and laundry. 

In my bedroom

Love my ZTA pledge class!
I will add more pictures of the rest of the apartment tomorrow once I get it all in order : ).

Miss everyone more than you know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment