Saturday, January 19, 2013

January 19: WARM WEATHERRRR


View from lunch


Today we arrived in Kunming around 11. We got to the hostel and I immediately showered. I'm pretty sure they never change the sheets on the overnight trains so I felt disgusting. Even if they do change the sheets the mixture of smoke and hawking made me feel gross enough.

I felt like a new person after I showered and I finally got to put on a short sleeve shirt! Done with the long underwear and layers on layers on layers of clothes.

Ice cold beer
The hostel had a bar area where we sat for little because Henry wanted to watch the Thunder game. I had a Wofford t-shirt on which immediately attracted this guy to come sit next to me. He is from SC, works in Hubei province as a teacher and told me a Wofford grad worked with him there last year. Small world! Although after just getting off a 17-hour train I really wasn't up for small talk. I just wanted to get out in the sun and eat!

 The rest of the day was spent at the lake by our hostel. We found a cafe on the water that served food and beer. Just what we wanted. We ended up staying there all day and my face got burnt! So exciting. I haven't seen sun in so long.

2 portions
Before we left we ordered what we thought was ice cream. The lady asked us both "Yi fen, Laing fen?" I thought she was asking how many scoops. So I got one and Henry got two. Our ice cream turned out to be shaved ice, which was delicious, but Henry's "two scoops" turned into two huge cups of shaved ice. We tried to play it off like we both ordered one but it didn't work.

Eventually we left and I bought boiled peanuts! BOILED PEANUTS IN CHINA. Amazing. Made me feel at home.

We walked around the lake some and then decided to go to a restaurant on the other side of the lake to drink more and eat dinner. Henry ordered a whole fish, which he ate entirely. And I ordered Kung Pao Chicken and was thrilled.

To sum up our day in Kunming... We spent the day at the lake eating, drinking and soaking up the sun. Just what I needed. I am now rejuvenated for our two-day hike in Tiger Leaping Gorge.
View from dinner

Tomorrow we have a 10-hour bus ride to Lijiang where we will stay over night and then take a 2-hour bus ride to TLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment