Friday, January 4, 2013

Bittersweet

Everyone tells you how rewarding it is to teach, but no one tells you how hard it is to say bye to your first set of students. I was so sad to have my last first classes. I could not have hand picked better first students. My students made me laugh every single day. The most rewarding part of this semester was watching my freshmen master the "th" sound. And watching them get so excited when they finally said "youth" right was so rewarding. My favorite classes were my freshmen classes. I loved them and I loved how excited they were to learn.

A few of my freshmen and me after their final
A few of my students brought me apples to their final with a note. One of the notes said, "Miss I, thank you so much for your American candies and Christmas cookies. Thank you for loving us. We all love you so much and will miss you!" I love my students so much. I hope I have my freshmen again next semester!

The juniors I taught were great, but it was more challenging because they are all my age, if not older. Yes, I am the native English speaking but it is just so weird to correct students my OWN age. Also, as juniors they are so exhausted from studying so much that they are just burnt out.

Also... no one prepares you for how difficult it to fail a student. I tried to rationalize giving her a C, but anyway I looked at it she was failing. It sucked... I HATE IT!!!

Leaving Ma'anshan was an adventure... it was a blizzard! I stood out in the snow for 15 minutes waiting on a taxi, then I waited in the airport for 4 hours until I finally took off. Don't ever fly with me.. you will be delayed!

I did meet a Chinese guy in the airport who was born in Nanjing and is working in International Trade and used to live in Edison, NJ for 7 years... small world!!

I was really sad to be leaving Ma'anshan, I love living there... never thought the day would come when I say I love living in China, but I do! I may have been sad to be leaving but that lasted about 10 minutes, I couldn't wait to get to HONG KONGGGG!!!! Finally my time to celebrate Christmas!




1 comment:

  1. Always so interesting to read your blog! And I'm very happy for you to be celebrating finally in Hong Kong with your parents! How about the synchronicity of meeting that guy from Edison NJ?! You are " making life happen" and doing it YOUR way! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete