Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'm backkk

I know I haven't written in awhile. For some reason, this semester I have less classes but have found myself busier. Maybe it's because I am teaching 'Canadian Culture' and really never have any idea what to teach. When I walked in the first day I asked them what they knew about Canada. Nothing. I asked them what they wanted to learn about Canada. Nobody responded. Good, that helped a lot. So, since I had these same students in my 'American Culture' class, I decided that I would start out by teaching them everything they want to learn about American culture that we didn't cover last semester, first,  then  I would move on to Canadian Culture. Lucky me, it's now week 7 and I am still teaching about American culture.

I won't try to catch you up on every single little thing thats happened since I have returned, but I will list the noteworthy things:

  • When I first returned after the 2 month break, the bus driver for the Ma'anshan airport shuttle remembered me. When I walked out with my 90 bags he had a huge grin on his face and waved to me. It made me feel at home. 
  • I am only teaching 4 semester classes. 2 freshmen speaking classes, 1 junior business class and 1 Canadian culture class. All the same students. 
  • Henry and I were given a new Monday class that we teach together. It started last week and goes to the end of the semester. It's for 6 students who are all going to study abroad in the states next year.  2 are going to Purdue and 4 are going to Longwood University in Virginia. 
  • I am learning how to play guitar. I am such a baby though, after an hour my fingers hurt and I stop. I'll need to build up some tolerance if I plan on learning a song.
  • I got to celebrate my birthday in the same timezone I was born in for the first time in 20 years. WOO!
  • Henry bought me a crockpot for my birthday and it has revolutionized my life. 
  • My parents met me in Shanghai the weekend after my birthday and then came to Ma'ansahn for a day (there will be a separate post for this)
  • I GOT REHIRED!!! I will officially be staying in Ma'anshan for another year. Talk about a leap of faith. As difficult as it is to be here at times, I know staying here one more year is the right thing to do. I refuse to leave this country without being fluent in the language. 
Well, I think that pretty much sums up all the major stuff that has happened since I've been back. Unfortunately, I've drawn a blank on all the "funny" china stuff that has happened. But now that "I'm back", I will be posting more regularly :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment