Sunday, April 7, 2013

Shanghai, the best city around!

Two weekends ago (March 29- April 1), my parents met Geri and me in Shanghai to celebrate my birthday. It was a much needed, amazing weekend. We stayed at the Langham hotel in Xintiandi, a great area in Shanghai. The hotel was fabulous. First, I need to explain the toilet. You're probably thinking that I am crazy, but this toilet has some serious advanced technology. You don't lift the toilet seat, it lifts itself. It has the option of cleaning all your parts, and you decide how hard or soft you want the water to be and then it dries you. I mean really?? So not necessary.

Anyway... Geri and I felt like princesses for a weekend. We got to take baths and rain showers every night before dinner. It was G-R-E-A-T. You don't really appreciate a bath until the option of taking a bath is nonexistent. At least that's how it's been for me. There are some bathtubs outside my apartment building that people have turned into planters. I am seriously considering dumping out all the dirt and stealing it. Bathtubs turned into planters. Some things I will NEVER understand.

So to sum up the hotel, clouds as beds, big comfy robes, slippers, bath, shower, crazy advanced toilet, all you can drink tea and COFFEE. I used to hate coffee but now that I can't get it in Ma'anshan I find myself craving it? Why is it that we start to want something when we don't have it?

You're probably thinking I went to Shanghai and stayed in the hotel the entire weekend. Not true, but I definitely would not have hated it. Especially since I was sick all week and was still sick during the weekend.

The weekend was filled with EATING, drinking, sightseeing, more eating and drinking, and shopping. I am pretty sure I came back at least 5lbs heavier. The food was totally worth every pound.

Highlights from the trip:

  • M on the Bund (dinner)
  • Cruise on the Bund.  
  • Shopping
  • Eating OUTSIDE
  • Mexican food! Margs, guac, chips! 
  • BRUNCH. My favorite thing in the world. We had brunch Easter Sunday at the hotel. We got to sit outside, drink champagne, and eat lots and lots of food. I always feel like a child whenever I talk about food but that just goes to show how I get ZERO variety in Ma'anshan. 
  • Best looking guys I've ever seen in my life. I've discovered that Shanghai has more expats (foreigners) than locals. It also has the best looking guys I've literally ever seen. There were loads of them at brunch and they were in there late 20's. I seriously considered going up to this one table and asking them where they worked and if there were any job openings. That being said... After my second year in Ma'anshan, I may be hitting up Shanghai to work and find a husband. 
I have to say, it was one of the best birthday weekends I've ever had. Thanks mom and dad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment