Monday, August 27, 2012

Oh my Lady Gaga

Today was my first day of training! I woke up early and had breakfast at the hotel. THEY HAD FRIED EGGS! So that was a good start to my day for sure.

The training place is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel... so easy! There are 36 "teachers" in my training class. Most of them are teaching in Beijing but they are all so nice and I love listening to all the different accents. I actually met a girl from Charleston, SC... small world!

My training teacher is English and has taught in China for over 15 years. He is incredibly knowledgeable and funny. He makes the 8 hours go by "quickly". But regardless of how funny he is, it is impossibly hard for me to sit for 8 hours with no phone or computer. Hopefully I'll be a pro by day 7!

You may be wondering why the title of my post is called "Oh my Lady Gaga". Well, after 8 hours of training today the one thing that stuck the most was that Asians don't say "oh my god" they say "Oh my Lady Gaga". Too funny.

But really.. I did learn more than just that. After one day of training I actually feel 60% more confident about teaching college students than I did yesterday.

Mom and Dad, you'll relate to this the most... I have always wondered why Asians just walk around without a purpose or stop in the middle of the sidewalk or cut in front of you or walk in front of you. Well today I found out that Asians are "Field Independent" which means they "see the forest for the trees."Meaning, they are not socially aware. Good to know. I thought they were just being rude.

I learned today that I am "Field Dependent" which means I see the "big picture." Meaning, I am socially sensitive. Makes sense.

The MOST important thing I learned today is that I am authoritative with a little laissez-fair side, which is the best kind of teacher to be!

So overall, today was a very informative, successful day. I learned a lot about myself and learned some great teaching tips.

Right now I am in the hotel restaurant eating dumplings and sticky rice (WITH NO SALT)... so not okay. I forget I need to travel with my own salt in China. Oh and I am having a glass of red wine : ).

I may be doing adult things but I most definitely still feel like a child.


No comments:

Post a Comment