Monday, September 2, 2013

SLIPPERS

This morning I woke up and went straight to the gym. Last time I went to the gym I went around 10:15 and I told myself never again. All the treadmills were taken and I had to wait 20 minutes for one. Well, today I went again around 10:15 thinking that since it was a Monday, it wouldn't be as crowded. Wrong. So I was sitting in the chairs they have on the side waiting and a Chinese man in his little workout speedo came up and in Chinese said "Hello. You want to run? Follow me." So I did, unsure of what was about to happen.... well, he kicked one of the guys of the treadmill and everyone started hysterically laughing. It really was hilarious and for some reason I wasn't mortified, I actually really appreciated it. I think Ma'anshan might be coming around. Last year I almost felt like a zoo animal and this year I feel like everyone is accepting me as a foreigner and being very helpful. Yesterday a lady at Carrefour picked a cleaning supply out of my basket and told me there was a cheaper one that was better. I was so grateful. These small, nice gestures truly make a difference. I feel like I am apart of the city and not some crazy person that they all point at and say, "lao wai".

So you're probably wondering why the title of this blog post is "SLIPPERS"... well here ya go.. the guy next to me was RUNNING in SLIPPERS. Really? I couldn't help but laugh.

This afternoon the two new teachers arrived. They are both from Colorado College and really nice. The school didn't end up hiring any other teachers so it's just us four this year. Should be a good year!

Tomorrow classes start for the sophomores, juniors and seniors. The freshmen don't start classes until the 4th week because they are in military training. Which means, I only have 4 classes for the next 3 weeks and then I'll have 10. YIKES. Last year I taught 6 classes the first semester and 4 the second so 10 classes this year should be interesting. I am excited that I'll be busier though. I feel like I'm more productive when I'm busy.

Off to cook dinner and watch Breaking Bad episode 4!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment