Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"You got fatter over the summer"

I'm back!! I spent 2 months traveling around the states (California, South Carolina, Florida, DC, NJ/NYC, Texas) and then ended my break in Hong Kong for 2 weeks. It was so nice to be back, I loved being able to see most of my family and friends. If you hosted me while I was back, THANK YOU! I had a wonderful time everywhere I went and it made it so difficult to leave! 


I arrived back in Ma'anshan on Wednesday (8/28). As usual, I had bad luck traveling. I was delayed an hour and just barely made the 3:00 shuttle back to Ma'anshan. The entire shuttle ride I was anxious about getting my 2 VERY HEAVY bags up the stairs. I had asked my boss if one of my bags would be safe at the bottom of the stairs while I brought the second one up and his response was, "only if you're very fast". No way was I going to be very fast... Luckily he offered to meet me at my apartment to help me carry my bags up. 

As we are BOTH struggling up the stairs with my overly stuffed bags he told me I got fatter over the summer. My response was, "THANKS". He tried to tell me it was a compliment- that it meant that I had a good summer and ate a lot of good food. Clearly, I did not take his comment as a compliment. I had worked out this summer, went to all of Steph's crazy spin classes, ran, walked, etc., point being I felt like I had lost at least some weight, NOT GAINED. Mind you, I am the ONLY foreigner here until Saturday. So not only was I feeling fat, I was feeling alone. The second I got into my apartment I fell onto my couch and cried. I kept thinking to myself, "why am I here, why did I come back, this is miserable, I made a terrible decision". 

Luckily I have great family and friends who I reached out to. I was reminded of how different Chinese culture is from ours and how I can't take everything they say so personally. It’s funny how a "compliment" in one county is the complete opposite in another. 

After thinking about last year and what a great experience it was, I was quickly reminded as to why I stayed a second year. Eventually I got it together and shut out my boss's comment and moved on with what was left of the day. 

The first thing I did was put on my new slipcover for my couch... brought all the way from the states. YEP. You probably think that's crazy, but it's the little things that make living here a little easier. Here's  the transition my couch has gone through.... 



The rest of my afternoon was spent setting up my Sonos, cleaning, and unpacking some. I ended my first day back watching New Girl while I had popcorn and beer for dinner. At least I have my priorities straight........ 

As my mom always says, "This too shall pass. Tomorrow is a new day."







No comments:

Post a Comment